Lima was founded by the spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro in 1535, who chose it as the capital city because of its strategic location and its main port, Callao, which was a focal point on the Peruvian and South American coast. During colonial times the city was considered the most important metropolis in Latin American. Nowadays, Lima is the economic and political center of tje country and houses almost 30% of the total population of Peru. Its surviving pre-Columbian constructions and colonial temples and houses give the city a magnificent architectural mixture. The downtown area is where you can appreciate this mixture by visiting the Cathedral, The Torre Tagle Palace, San Francisco, Santo Domingo, San Pedro and Las Nazarenas churches, as well the beautiful nineteenth century houses that have stunning balconies. A little further ahead, on the way Miraflores, another important area of the city, you can find the pucllana Indian Tom, an impressive pre-columbian ceremonial complex, which many assure is a very good starting point of the tour.
Intense cultural and entertaining activities have characterized this city since the sixteenth century, and now it offers you a number of museums and art galleries as well as modern shopping centers and exciting night life. Another interesting aspect of the city is its rich ethnic fusion that can be seen in its ingenious and playful people, in the tradition of the Lord of the Miracles (El Señor de los Milagros), and also in the wide array of culinary options. In 1991 UNESCO declared Lima mankind's historial monunment, so don't miss the opportunity to visit this fabulous city.
Location: Central coast of Peru
Altitude: 154 MAMSL
What's the Weather in Lima Peru?
The city of Lima, located on the coast, has an arid and semi-warm climate. The maximum annual average temperature is 21.97 ° C (71.4 ° F) and the minimum is 17 ° C (62.7 ° F). The climate in Lima is very humid (with relative humidity that can reach even 100%), despite its location in large desert areas. The precipitations are scarce. In Lima you have to protect yourself from solar radiation using sunscreen, especially if you have clear skin, do not rely on cloudiness without apparent sun.
What to visit in Lima Peru?
- Lima Main Square
- Lima Cathedral
- Real Felipe Fortress
- Alameda de los Descalzos
- Bridge of the Sighs
- Reserve Park
- Lima Art Museum
- San Cristobal Hill
- Rafael Larco Herrera Museum
- National Museum of Anthropology, and Archeology and History
- Museum of Gold of Peru
- Amano Museum
- Museum of the Nation
- Park of the Legends
- El Olivar Park
Hotels near Lima Peru Airport
- Holiday Inn Lima Airport (Rooms from 149 USD)
- Wyndham Costa del Sol Lima Airport (Rooms from 216 USD)
- Manhattan Inn Airport (Rooms from 56 USD)
- Hostal Hostello - Lima Airport (Rooms from 34 USD)
- Kurmi Lima Airport(Rooms from 22 USD)
- Padama(Rooms from 43 USD)
- El Principe(Rooms from 40 USD)
- Pay Purix(Rooms from 27 USD)
- Samikay Suite(Rooms from 34 USD)
- Salvatore(Rooms from 20 USD)
What to do in Lima Peru for a day?
- Tour Express Half Day: Two-hour tour around the main districts of Miraflores and Barranco, it will be an unforgettable tour around the boardwalk with a beautiful view of the sea, and main places of ravine, the bohemian part of the city, you can not miss the opportunity to meet. This beautiful city and enjoy a delicious handmade ice cream.
- Huaral Chancay Full day: You will visit the Chancay Main Square, the Chancay Museum, the Alvanor Vineyard. Lunch in a Countryside. In the afternoon we will visit Ecotruly Park, an ecological farm.
- San Jerónimo de Surco y Huanano Full Day: Trekking towards the waterfall, visit to the archaeological remains of Huanano Machay, rest in the viewpoint of the cross of Kishu. We continue with the trekking to the Huanano waterfall, free time to bathe and rest. Free lunch Return in Chosica a short break to buy the delicious picarones or their famous anticuchos in the main square.
- Tour Widow's Mountain Range Full Day: Departure to the city of Canta, where there is a time of acclimatization, for the ascent to the Widow's Mountain Range. Trekking to the viewpoint of Cochapampa and the waterfalls that are rising to the mountain range. Ritual of the payment to the water, to later know the lagoons like the Chunchun Lagoon. Rest and free time to walk in the boats in the Laguna Ocho, panoramic view of the Laguna de Leoncocha. Free lunch in the Huaros Farm. Tour in Canta to know the square and make purchases.
- Tour Huancaya Landscape Reserve Full Day: We visit the Blue Lagoon, the Abra Negro Bueno, the Hidden Temple Waterfall, Uchco Canyon, Vitis, Alis (picturesque places), Piquecocha Lagoon, Huancaya (city tour- waterfalls, lagoons, the colonial bridge).
- Puenting Half Day: You will have to approach the Autisha bridge from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. You can go on your own mobility or by bus from Chosica (Echenique park). Coordinate previously with the company your participation for your bungee jump.
Peru Tours from Lima
- Rúpac Campamento 02 Days / 01 Night: Day 1: Visit the town of Pampas called ghost town where we will have lunch, walk approx. 3 hours to the Rúpac Citadel, rest area, armed with tents and equipment. View of the beautiful sunset in Rúpac, tour of the nearby places. Bonfire in group, dinner, group presentation, souvenir photos, sharing, rest. Day 2: Appreciate the cloud mattress (seasonal), beautiful sunrise, walk to the ceremonial part, buildings of 3 levels, funerary chullpas, pick up of tents and equipment, return to the town of Pampas, lunch and return to Huaral.
- Landscape Reserve Nor Yauyos Lake 02 Days / 01 Night: This reserve protects one of the most beautiful high Andean landscapes of Peru. The source of the Cañete River forms numerous stepped waterfalls, like those of Cabracancha, and lagoons that look like mirrors of water. In addition to its great landscape value, the reserve houses flora and fauna typical of the Andes: the Andean fox, vicuñas, grebes, herons and queñuales forests.
- Fascinating Churin 02 Days / 01 Night: Day 1: bound for Churin, arrival at Mamahuarmi hotel, Lunch at Mamahuarmi restaurant, City Tour by the arrival spa and guided tour of the complex to the Meseta Complex, overnight at the Mamahuarmi hotel. Day 2: Breakfast at the Mamahuarmi restaurant, visit to the Mamahuarmi complex, picnic lunch and return trip to the city of Lima.