On July 7, 2007, Machu Picchu was chosen as one of the New 7 Wonders of the Modern World; these were chosen by more than 100 million people from all over the world, through open voting on the Internet; the wonders were announced at random order by the New Open World Corporation (NOWC). We invite you to know the Machu Picchu Wonders of the World; choose as the best destination in the world in 2023 and owner of some of the most amazing structures in the world. Book your Machu Picchu tickets 2023 now!
Bernard Weber founder of the New Open World Corporation said the following: "Machu Picchu Wonders of the world is testimony to the incredible value and vision that the Incas had of engineering. Despite the wait, I was impressed when I saw the first terraces (platforms) and majestic houses next to this high, incredible and steep mountain (and I thought I had climbed the mountains of Switzerland!), I was speechless. The entire New seven Wonders team was moved by sight. The good condition and conservation of the houses, courtyards and, of course, the Intihuatana, show how sophisticated the Inca society was, with its knowledge of astronomy, agriculture and engineering ".
The Seven Wonders of the Modern World
The 7 wonders of the world are a set of amazing constructions, considered by many people as the 7 best buildings in the world. These are the seven wonders of the modern world, in no particular order:
- The Great Wall of China (China)
- Petra (Jordan)
- The Christ the Redeemer of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
- Machu Picchu (Peru)
- Chichen Itza (Mexico)
- The Colosseum in Rome (Italy)
- The TajMahal (India)
Machu Picchu wonders of the world
Machu Picchu is the name given to an ancient Inca settlement, built in the mid-15th century, it is located on a rocky elevation between the Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu mountains, in Peru, east of the central mountain range, about 130 kilometers from Cuzco, which is the closest important city.
It is believed that Machu Picchu was one of the many rest homes of the first Inca emperor, Pachacutec, although for its ceremonial nature and for some of the best constructions in the city, it could be considered that it was actually a religious sanctuary, discarding the assumptions of some expert investigators who assumed that it could also be a military zone.
On July 7, 2007 Machu Picchu was declared one of the new wonders of the world in a ceremony held in Lisbon, Portugal, after the participation of one hundred million voters around the world and at the same time was declared by supreme decree of that same day as the "Day of the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu", to remember the importance of the sanctuary to the world.
They were selected 78 monuments from around the world, but the list was reduced to 21 and then to 7. The election was transmitted from Lisbon, Portugal, to more than 170 countries, and was seen by around 1.600 million people; that is, one out of every 4 people in the world saw the live broadcast. Hosts were actresses Hilary Swank, Bipasha Basu and actor Ben Kingsley; Among the special guests were Astronaut Neil Armstrong, Bertrand Piccard, Federico Mayor and soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo, as well as dozens of leaders.
Why visit Machu Picchu?
To be considered as one of the wonders of the world, is already in itself an unobjectionable argument to visit Machu Picchu. But if you need more reasons to decide, then here they are.
- Feeling the energy and exploring the mystery that surrounds the Sanctuary, the sensation of seeing the Wonder of the World by photos or video is very different from the feeling of being in the same place; It is simply a unique experience.
- Climb Huayna Picchu hill and have an incredible panoramic view, this has a height of 2700 meters and there is a well-marked route to climb to the top and have an impressive view of the entire archaeological complex.
- Arrive in Cusco, the Archaeological Capital of America, with its streets with stone walls and colonial mansions, its imposing churches, museums and the spectacular Sacsayhuaman Fortress.
- Arrive at Machu Picchu by the Inca Trail Book 2023, considered among the best walks in the world, an exceptional experience.
- Visit the Sacred Valley of Cusco, surrounded by snow-capped peaks and with wonderful villages that you can find along the entire route. Pisac, Ollantaytambo and Chinchero will enchant you with their magnificent Inca remains and their present live culture. Maras and Moray will surprise you with the salt pans and the circular platforms that are an enigma; and you can still find more.
- Visit other destinations, you can make excursions to the Inca city of Choquequirao (the sister city of Machu Picchu), the Salkantay trek (which also ends in Machu Picchu) and the famous trek to the mountain of 7 colors. You can do adventure sports of all kinds, enjoy festivities, especially the Inti Raymi, hiking through incredible natural scenarios and experiential and mystical tourism.
Other recognitions that Machu Picchu has received
Machu Picchu is located 130 km from the city of Cusco and since the explorer Hiram Bingham made it known to the world in 1911, he has received many titles and recognitions; All this popularity, has made the tickets to Machu Picchu must be booked in advance; If you still do not reserve one of the Machu Picchu Tickets, we recommend checking the availability now.
- In 1983 Machu Picchu was considered a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, because it is not only a cultural archaeological site, it is also ecological, which is why it is called the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu.
- On July 7, 2007 Machu Picchu was chosen as one of the modern wonders, in a ceremony held in Lisbon, Portugal on the occasion of the election of the new 7 wonders of the World.
- In 2008 Machu Picchu led the list of the 22 best-selling tourist destinations in the world according to iExplore, a website specializing in online sales of tour packages.
- In 2009, it was chosen as the third exotic destination preferred by the British in the Guardian and Observer Travel Awards, according to surveys carried out by readers of prestigious British newspapers Guardian and The Observe.
- In case it was not enough Machu Picchu is included within the 22 tourist destinations of the Monopoly game version for Peru. Machu Picchu is the most expensive property on the board.
- In May of 2011, it ranked 25th among the best tourist destinations in the world, in the Traveler Choice Destination Awards competition, organized by the prestigious Trip Advisor travel portal. He won the same prize in 2013, staying within the top 25 travel destinations.
- National Geographic Traveler, considered Machu Picchu with the Peruvian Amazon within the best 50 places of all life. The destinations were chosen by writers, editors, photographers and explorers.
- It was also considered in the list of the 10 most representative buildings in the world made by the hand of man, a contest produced by Lonely Travel magazine.
- In 2014 Machu Picchu continues to generate recognition, this time is considered one of the most photographed places in the world according to Sightsmap and Panoramio owned by Google.
- Machu Picchu has been voted Best Tourist Attraction in South America 2022 by the World Travel Awards. This important recognition has been achieved for the fifth consecutive year, having been received in the 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 editions of the prestigious international competition.